Maddie Gordon's Fish & ChipsApr 27 2020
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- lager beer (no IPA)
- pinch of baking soda
- 1 lb firm, white fish
- ½ to 1 cup of beef fat (tallow) *NO EXCEPTIONS, NO VEGETABLE OIL
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 can organic sweet peas (english peas)
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp chopped capers
- 12 roughly chopped cornichons (or 2 large pickles)
- ¼ cup finely chopped dill
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove chopped garlic
Combine tartar sauce ingredients in a bowl & set aside.
Bring peas to a boil in a pan. Drain, mash & season to taste. Set aside & heat before serving.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash potatoes & cut into 1/8th wedges. Toss with olive oil, salt & pepper. Lay out flat on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 mins, flip wedges & bake for another 15-20 mins until golden & crispy.
In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour, salt & enough beer to make thick pancake batter. Leave baking soda aside for now. Put another ½ cup flour on a plate for dredging. Cut fillets of fish into dollar bill sized chunks. Dredge with flour and set aside. In a large skillet/frying pan heat up about 1 inch of fat into its liquid state. You want the fish to be almost fully submerged. Add the baking soda to the batter, dip dredged fish & fry on one side in hot fat. Flip after a few minutes when golden brown. When cooked, serve right away.
- Eat with a fork & knife like the Queen.
- Don’t forget malt vinegar on your chips.